Thursday 2 April 2020

BARRY PEARL'S COMICS CLOSETS...


Comics from the '60s

Have I got a palpitating post for you!  Prepare to be rendered utterly envious of Bashful BARRY PEARL's cataclysmic comics collection, accumulated from when they first came out as he was growing up in America in the '60s and '70s.  I actually have some of these comics myself, the operative word being 'some' - but Barry has an unbroken run of every issue up until he stopped buying them in 1977.  I'll let Barry explain things in his own words before I unleash you on the rest of his fantastic photographs.  Over to Barry.

Comics from the '70s

It only took a few decades, But I was finally able to do this right.  With our current national (and worldwide) crisis, I finally got the time to place my comics the way I'd like, in two closets, one for the comics that began in the 1960s and another for those that began in the 1970s.  Now I can pull them out easily, whenever I want.  My collection, which contains all the Marvel Age comics beginning in 1961 with The Fantastic Four #1 (actually Amazing Adventures #1 with Dr. Droom), ends in 1977.  I keep my most valuable comics in a third, very secure place.

The Fantastic Four.  I have a mid-'60s individual reprint of #1

Whenever I post a picture of how I keep my comics stored, several concerned posters comment that they are stored the wrong way.  Many feel that comics should only be stored standing up or in special boxes, or should be slabbed, especially the oldest ones.  However, for me, comics have always been a great source of entertain-ment and enjoyment, and are useless to me unless I can pull them out and read them! Perhaps I'd feel differently if I'd paid a fortune for them, but I got many of them for free at my aunt's candy store, or on the newsstands when they first came out.

Amazing Adventures, Fantasy, & Spider-Man.  I have ASM #1

In the second picture from the top, I've shown how a couple of shelves look in the 1970s closet, which does not have double-doors.

The Avengers.  I have 1, 2, & 3

The X-Men.  I have #1

Tales To Astonish & Sub-Mariner #1.  I have TTA #70

The Incredible Hulk.  I have #102

First appearances of Daredevil, Iron Man, & Thor.  I have all 3

Strange Tales.  I have #135

As well as the comics in these pics that I actually own, I also have numerous reprints of every other comic on open display, with the possible exception of Strange Tales Annual #1.  However, my collection almost pales into insignificance when you con-sider that Barry has an unbroken run of every title from 1961 right up to 1977. Impressive, eh?  I'd like to thank Barry for sharing his collection with we Crivs, and I'm sure you would too, so why not leave a comment?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management