Sunday 5 November 2017

RIVALS, ROBBERS & RIVERS - AND READER'S DIGEST...



As regular readers will know, I'm a big fan of  The Wind In The Willows.  Back in the early '90s I saw an ad for a game based on the book, which was called Rivals, Robbers and Rivers, and decided that I'd quite like to own it.  The ad was in one of those mini catalogues that come with Sunday newspapers, so I cut out the page and saved it so that I could order the game at an opportune moment.  (I still have that ad somewhere, and I'll add it to this post when I find it again.)

Anyway, the years came and went, but I never did get around to sending away for it, though around four years or so ago, I bought (via eBay) the Reader's Digest Willows game based on the Carlton Television animated cartoon series from the '90s.  Then, a couple of months or so ago, I saw the very game I'd coveted for over 25 years on eBay and bought it for a very reasonable price indeed.  I'd mainly wanted it for the figures, as I'm not really a 'games' person (aside from Chess and darts*, which I haven't played in ages), so it's nice to finally have it after a quarter of a century.  (And you just know that I'm going to say that it only feels like a fraction of that time, don't you?)

Anyway, thought I'd show you all my 'ill-gotten booty' (behave), so here are some nice pictures of both games for your perusal.  As I said, I'll add the ad when I find it.

(*Yeah, the sporty type, ain't I?)



And below is the 2nd game, based on the Carlton TV show.  Its figures are also nice, but the ones above are modelled after E.H. Shepard's illustrations, so are a little more 'authentic'-looking.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management