Wednesday 3 October 2018

CARLOS EZQUERRA - 1947 - 2018


JOHNNY ALPHA and associated characters
copyright REBELLION

I'm a bit late with this, but I couldn't let Spanish artist CARLOS EZQUERRA's passing go unnoticed.  Over 30 years ago I became the regular letterer of 2000 A.D.'s STRONTIUM DOG, and I'd guess hundreds of pages of Carlos's artwork passed through my hands as I added speech balloons and captions to his unique and distinctive-looking strips.  When I had a go at drawing a pin-up for 2000 A.D., I tried to emulate Carlos's style, while still retaining certain characteristics of my own.  (I was paid for the pin-up, but don't know if it was ever published.)

He was only 70, which isn't that much older than me, and his passing is a sad reminder that my own youth is naught but a fading echo carried away on the winds of time.  Rest in peace, Carlos.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management