Friday 1 March 2019

WHEN YOU CAN TAKE THIS PEBBLE FROM MY HAND, GRASSHOPPER...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

For old times' sake, I recently bought the above EPIC COLLECTION of SHANG-CHI, MASTER Of KUNG FU - mainly because I recall reading the first half of his debut tale in The AVENGERS #28 back in 1974.  I particularly remember the cover (below) because I had the comic with me when I visited a pal, and whenever I look at it, I'm once again back in the house that he moved from not too long after, around 44 years ago.  Hard to believe I was yet a schoolboy - ah, memories.


I acquired the actual US comic in which Shang-Chi first appeared (SPECIAL MARVEL EDITION #15) a few years ago, but I thought it would be nice to re-read the rest of his early adventures now that Marvel have re-acquired the rights to use SAX ROHMER's supporting characters once again.  Apart from SME #15 (below), I haven't read the tales since the b&w reprints in The Avengers UK weekly, published back in the '70s.  They actually hold up pretty well, and it's good to see JIM STARLIN's and PAUL GULACY's art from near the start of their careers.


I reckon you'd enjoy this volume too, so check out your local comics shop or bookstore at the earliest opportunity.  Were you a fan of Shang-Chi all those years ago?  Why not share your memories of the Kung Fu fighter in the Crivens! comments section?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management