Tuesday 7 May 2019

Supergirl Gallery Diorama Statue



I recently purchased the DC Gallery Diorama figuring of Supergirl and added it to my collection.

I am usually a bit more reticent to buy merchandise of the Michael Turner, bare midriff costume as I often feel that that particular costume lends itself to cheesecake. That's not why I am a Supergirl fan. And on first blush, this statue with it's very low-riding skirt seems to veer into that territory.

But looking beyond the exposed hips the statue is quite nice. Ensconced in a bright package, this is an action shot of Supergirl emerging from an explosion or a star all while snapping chains that try to bind her.

So the overall subject matter is one of strength.


I am not a big reviewer of packaging but i am a bit confused by this.

Certainly the pastel blues and bright reds are eye catching. And the actual picture of the statue within showcases the things I like about it.

But it is odd that the illustration on the box is of the more current Rebirth Supergirl costume and more akin to her television version. Why not have a picture of the actual costume on the statue.


 And the text isn't my favorite either.

I am not a fan of the lonely Supergirl, reluctantly living on Earth, armed with her planet-splitting right hook. And while I think she is on a hero's journey, I don't know if she is struggling with her identity.

I suppose I am an old-timer who likes to believe that Supergirl is optimistic and bright, sees the best in people, is an extrovert and wants to help.

Okay, enough about the box. Let's get to the statue itself.




 It is a dynamic piece.

As I said, I like that the base seems to be an explosion or a star. Squint and it could be a flower.

That heavy base allows the statue to truly be leaping towards the viewer, Supergirl snapping the chains that bind her.

Her expression is a bit of a blank stare if you get too close but from a distance is one of confidence as she breaks free.


 From the side you really get the sense of the work that base is doing. I definitely like the pain work on that fireball.


And the back is a decent sculpt with nice cape lines and the inverted S-shield which I think is mandatory cape fare.

So overall a very nice piece.


It nestled in nicely with in the Turner section of the collection, right behind the Turner mini-statue.

At some point I'll need a bigger display because in the back there you don't see that base which is the unique thing of this statue.

This is pretty affordable so if this is your favorite look for Supergirl, might be worth hunting down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management