Tuesday 22 October 2019

GLIDING ALONG ON THE CREST OF A CLOUD (IF SUCH A THING IS POSSIBLE)...



I was looking through a 1974 issue of VALIANT & LION earlier and saw the above ad for balsa wood gliders, which took my mind back to around 1963 when I had the STRATO one pictured on the lower left-hand side of the picture.  Actually, it had started life as my brother's, but he bought a new one when his first one 'came a cropper' so I inherited it and got him to repair it for me.  In fact, we probably had a few of them between the two of us over a certain period, and seeing this ad immediately transported me right back to a specific point outside my house in the neighbourhood we lived in at the time.


It prompted me to look on ebay, and I saw one and immediately bought it.  That's the seller's photos above and below.  It's been opened, but is in brand-new condition so I can't wait 'til I get my hands on it.  Another part of my childhood re-acquired.  I was surprised to see that the gliders were still around in 1974, because I have no recollection of ever seeing them again after the mid-'60s, though at some stage I also had the SLEEK STREEK model pictured on the lower right of the ad, next to the Strato.  In fact, I've added a photo of one from ebay at the foot of the post.


Did any of you Criv-ites ever have one or more of these balsa wood gliders when you were a kid?  Then why not share your happy memories of them with the rest of us in the comments section?  When my glider arrives, I'll assemble it and add a photo of it to this post, so check back in a couple of weeks as it's coming from America.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management