Friday 27 March 2020

Supergirl Blogging In The Time Of COVID-19


Well, things sure are different in the world as I write this on the morning of March 27th 2020.

We are in the midst of a global pandemic with COVID-19.

The United States seems to be catching up to the rest of the world in terms of advocating social distancing, establishing a 'lockdown' on nonessential services, and promoting safety and sanity to the people. The shelves of grocery stores are barren in some places. Good luck finding bread, meat, orange juice. or toilet paper. For me, I was surprised to see that cooking oil is also a hot commodity.

And, oh by the way, the comic book market has basically dried up with Diamond Distributors stopping the shipment of new books indefinitely. My own LCS has closed their doors given my state's proclamation about nonessential markets. I was able to get this week's books. But that is going to be it for a while.

Will new books continue to be released digitally? Will the print copies all come out in a glut when the trucks start rolling? Or will the whole industry just hit the pause button?

And, oh yes, my 'real' job hasn't necessarily slowed down. In fact, it may have ramped up a bit.

Which leads me to this site ... and what I should do ...

I currently have the following books I will need to review: Supergirl #40, Action Comics #1021, Legion of Super-Heroes #5, Batman/Superman #8, and Amethyst #2. I also will probably do a quick peek at the Event Leviathan hardcover collection.

In a cursory look back, it looks like reviews of new books makes up about 40% of my material here!

Also, it is hard to know if any news about comic books will be coming out until the companies decide what they are doing.

I still have the new episodes of the show I can review. I have plenty of old stories I can review. And I probably can put together some think pieces. I also have a grandiose idea of reaching out to some creators but I am sure they are just as busy and stressed as the rest of us.

But the reality is that this site may slow down a bit during this pandemic and moratorium on comics. This site is many things but most of all it is a creative outlet for me and a way to stay in touch with friends and Supergirl fans. So I am not shutting the doors. But it may slow down to a 2x a week place for a bit.

Anyways, the hope is some time in the near future, things return to normal and I'll be firing on all cylinders.

In the meantime, let's all truly take the mantra of Supergirl to heart and bring 'hope, help, and compassion for all' into this wonky world!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management