Thursday 19 November 2020

Barry Pearl's Guest Post - A Question Of Colour...

The Answer Is All There In Black And White...

Images copyright respective owners

Well here goes:

It's not usual for me to mention my own blog here, but I recently put up something that's of great interest to me, and may be to you, too.  I published a Silver Age chronology of black characters who'd appeared in American comics, which you can see by clicking here.

One thing I noticed was that in the Gold Key Star Trek comics of the 1970s, there was barely a trace of Uhura on the covers or in the stories.  Even when the rest of the crew were on the bridge of The Enterprise, she was not shown.

Yet, at the same time, she was prominently featured in the British Star Trek comic strip series.

Can anyone tell me when black characters appeared in comics in Great Britain in the 1960s and 1970s?  I also have James Bond's Dr. No from the 1960s British newspaper comic strip.  Black people are featured in that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management