Thursday 12 November 2020

Marie Javins Named Editor-In-Chief

 

The DC bloodbath was a couple of months ago. At the height of the pandemic,Dan Didio and senior editors were shown the door. Comics were canceled. The '5G' future was scrapped (sort of ... you can't convince me that Future State isn't some grab at material already produced). And I began to wonder if DC was in trouble.

It didn't help that there was no inkling at all about what is happening post-Future State. Will we pick up where we left off? Is Death Metal a death knell for the Rebirth timeline? 

Finally, this week, some good news came out. Marie Javins was named Editor-In-Chief. Here is a link to Variety's article: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dc-comics-marie-javins-editor-in-chief-1234826235/ 

 For me, this was a great announcement. It might sound dramatic but I thought to myself 'this is a great move'.

And the article and a quote from Javins only bolstered that feeling.


 The Editor-In-Chief name dropping Supergirl as one of the comics she 'devoured' as a kid can only be considered fantastic news. FANTASTIC NEWS! 

We needed an Editor-In-Chief who actually likes Supergirl. 

We don't need someone who thinks the only thing to do with Supergirl is make her angry, dark, and evil.

That made me smile.

I mean, looking at the books that Javin has been editor on in the past is like a 'best of' list of comics which have made me smile over the last several years.

 To name a few, I see Adventures of the Super Sons, DC Superhero Girls, Future Quest, Justice League Dark, Legion/Bugs Bunny, and Mystik U on the list of books under her care. I loved all of these.

I mean, she even was editor on Snickers Supergirl/Jesse Quick comic I love.

Maybe ... just maybe ... this means we'll get a Supergirl book on the shelf that treats her right.

Now I understand that there may have been layoffs along with this. But I think I'll just linger on the good news.

What do you all think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management