Monday 28 February 2022

FAVOURITE ANNUALS OF THE PAST... (1960s - 1990s)


Images copyright their relevant and respective owners

The first Annual I remember receiving as a Christmas present was the TV Century 21 Annual for 1966.  Around the same time or not long afterwards, I got the Stingray Annual for the same year.  I also had all four Fireball XL5 Annuals, but they were acquired from jumble sales a year or two (or more) after the fact, not bought new as they were published.  I had a couple of the 'new' Smash! Annuals, the first Thunder Annual, plus the Super DC Bumper Book, only one of which was ever produced.  (As in for one year only, not one lone book.)

My brother may've had one or two Beano Books obtained from friends in the early '60s, but I'm not entirely sure.  The reason I think it's possible is because I remember using one as a 'seat' on a single skate and racing down the street where we lived at the time.  The first Annual I purchased in my present house was the Knockout Annual for 1973, soon followed by the Marvel Annual for the same year.  Then followed Spider-Man, The Avengers, The Titans, The Incredible Hulk, Captain Britain, and The Super-Heroes.

Doubtless there were many others, but they escape the clutches of memory as I type this.  Once I've finished, I'll sit down, cast my thoughts back, see which ones spring to the forefront of my mind, and include them in some kind of order in this post.  New, old, second-hand, I'll feature all the ones I recall having as a kid and teenager.  See how many of them you remember having yourself, and reminisce about them to your heart's content in our comments section.

























As I showed them on the blog only recently, I decided to keep the Fireball XL5 Annuals until last so that your familiarity with their images wouldn't interrupt the 'flow' of the rest of them.  Sure, they're out of publishing sequence in relation to the other Annuals in their respective years, but they're just too good not to include.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management