Monday 9 May 2022

"I AM CURIOUS (BLACK)!"


Copyright DC COMICS

The above comic is regarded by some as being controversial in its attempt to address the subject of racism.  In showing Lois Lane being ignored contemptuously by every black person she meets in Metropolis's 'Little Africa' - simply because she's white - it inadvertently (and in-accurately) portrays blacks as just as racist (some are, of course) as whites are reputed to be.  It means well though, and ends with a glimmer of hope for relations between blacks and whites.

This issue is regarded as a collectors' item because of it's subject matter and commands a hefty asking price - check eBay to see just what I mean - but that's not why I bought it.  No, I wanted it because it has the second instalment of Rose And The Thorn, a story I've never read before.  There were 25 episodes of The Thorn and I've only read around half of them, so I recently decided to obtain the ones I don't and have never had, as well as upgrade some of the ones I do own.

Being a canny Scot, I didn't want to pay out a fortune though, so I managed to get this particular issue at a nearly reasonable price.  I had to settle for one not in the highest grade, but then I turned my 'restoration' skills loose on it, in order to enhance its cosmetic appeal.  (That's the 'after' above, the 'before' can be seen in the last pic below.)  Didn't do too bad a job if I say so myself, and it's far tidier than it was when I got it.

As well as colour rub on the cover, there was a two and three quarter tear at the bottom of the spine, and a two and one quarter tear at the top, with a three quarter tear somewhere between them.  Not any more, thanks to my special archival invisible repair tape on the inside, plus a colour touch-up in places on the outside.  I can't claim the repairs to be completely undetectable, but they're not glaringly obvious and you'd probably have to be looking for them to spot them.

Anyway, I'm currently awaiting a few replacement issues of LL, so when they arrive, I'll do a post featuring the covers of all the issues that had Rose And The Thorn in them.  It's only taken me nearly 50 years, but I'm finally going to be able to sit down and read all 25 stories from beginning to end - something I never got to do at the time due to the spotty distribution in the UK back then.  Any of you Crivvies ever read this ish?  So what did you think of it?   



Seller's photo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management