Friday 5 May 2017

FAB! IT'S FAVOURITE COMICS OF THE PAST PART FIFTY-ONE - THE SILVER SURFER: ISSUES 10 - 14...


Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

It was 1973 or '74.  I was in Blackpool on holiday with my
parents, and was astonished to find that brand-new, pristine
issues of late '60s MARVEL comics (as well as some DC) were
readily available (in some shops) straight from the spinner-racks
for the decimal equivalent of their original U.K. prices.  I got a few
FANTASTIC FOUR issues by LEE & KIRBY (which we'll look
at another time), but, amazingly, I was also able to purchase five
issues of The SILVER SURFER's mag, as fresh as the day
they were printed, for a mere 25p (5p each).

So what accounts for such great comics still being on sale so
many years after the fact?  (Bear in mind that when you're 14
or 15, three or four years is a sizeable stretch of your young life.)
Well, darned if I know to be honest, but I'm glad they were.  The
issues on view here are replacement ones I obtained around 13-
odd years later, but one look at these covers and I'm a young lad
on holiday in Blackpool again, back in the sizzlin' '70s.  Thing is,
these were amongst the best Surfer stories published (in my
humble opinion), so I was really lucky to get them.

So savour the sight of these sensational Silver Surfer
covers in all their magnificent marvellousness.  And if you
have any nostalgic reminiscences of your own associated with
these issues, you're more than welcome to share them with all
your fellow Criv-ites in our crackin' comments section.  Well -
what're you waiting for?  Get typing, or I'll start thinking I'm
the only person who reads this blamed blog.  (And my
delusions to the contrary are important to me.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management