Monday 16 October 2017

Number 2115: The Grimm ghost spotter

“Grimm, Ghost Spotter” appeared in the four issues of Bomber Comics, from 1944. But this episode is a reprint of a story that appeared a couple of months earlier in Harvey’s War Victory Comics #3 (Winter, 1943). I am not sure how all of this happened, but the contents of Bomber #1 appear to be reprinted from various sources, with the indicia listing the publisher as “Elliott Publishing Co.” I believe it may have been a company formed to print some comic books using a willing third party’s paper ration. To compound confusion, the Grand Comics Database lists the story as it appeared in War Victory as having art by Rudy Palais with a ? after his name, to show they aren’t sure. For Bomber Comics they list the artist as just ?

I am used to seeing comic book stories by Rudy Palais having characters dripping sweat. I don’t see sweat, but I think it may be a comic book sweatshop job with various artists working on it.

I like that Grimm goes to work carrying a ghost disintegrator, which in his line of work would be a handy device to have. But the unknown writer* must not have consulted the Monster Manual. Grimm says the countess is a zombie, but she doesn’t cast a reflection in the mirror. I thought it was vampires who don’t have reflections. Well, neither do I, but that's because I close my eyes when I look into a mirror so I don’t have to see myself.

From Bomber Comics #1 (1944):






*I assume the name “Don Weaver” is a pseudonym.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management