Monday 2 December 2019

Number 2422: The Spider Widow meets the Spider Man

The Spider Widow “has the ability to control black widow spiders,” (Public Domain Super Heroes) a power I would pass up if offered. I have nothing against spiders; they have their place in the ecosystem, but as long as they aren’t climbing my walls I am fine. Despite an aversion to real life spiders, I chose this particular story because of the giant “spider” in the splash panel. The story is drawn by Frank Borth, an unsung artist of the Golden Age and beyond.

The Spider Widow, who wears a green witch mask, works with a costumed character called the Raven. There was also a Raven in Ace Periodicals comics, including Lightning Comics, around the same time. Neither Raven lasted very long in the comics. In this story the Spider Widow goes up against creepy Spider Man, who is obviously not today’s Spider-Man.

After returning from the war artist/creator Borth worked on a comic strip, then was a mainstay for years in Treasure Chest, a comic book for Catholic school kids. Like other artists who worked in Quality Comics before and during the war, Borth was inspired to do his best work by working with hot-shots like Reed Crandall, Lou Fine, Will Eisner, et al. An interview with Frank Borth from 2006 is included at the Catholic University website.

From Feature Comics #66 (1943):





TO READERS OF PAPPY’S GOLDEN AGE COMICS BLOGZINE:

It is December, and I have all of the stories and postings for this month in the Blogger queue. I want everything to work like it is supposed to, because after my final posting of this month, December 30, I will retire from Pappy’s. After 13 1/2 years it is time to go out while I still have the energy to do something else.

I don’t want to retire without thanking all of you for visiting this site. Many of you visit every time there is a new posting, three times a week. I deeply appreciate all who have been with Pappy’s since the blog — and you and I — were young. I think you understood what I have been trying to do, and when you have commented, especially in the last couple of years, you have been kind to an old man who spent his days squinting at his computer screen.

With any luck Pappy’s blog archives will be online for a long time. Although I will not be contributing, you and future readers will be able to go through a couple of thousand postings.

Best wishes to you all. Your friend, Pappy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management