Monday, 28 March 2016

Number 1891: Plastic Man: No cats were harmed or killed

Looks like you readers get a bonus today...this was set to appear on May 11, but due to Pappy's fumbling fingers hitting the wrong key it popped up today. So, out of sequence or not, here it is.

Plastic Man kicks a cat in this story, so before I get readers boycotting me for showing animal cruelty, let me make it clear that even though it is a comic book, I do not condone kitty-kicking in any form. A spoiler is the cat is not a cat. That's that!

(P.S. I love cats. We have a spoiled cat named Ramses, whose name sounds perfect for the theme of our story today. Here is a picture of Ramses, a stately-looking feline fellow.)

Mummy stories are always popular, stories taking place in Egypt, in pyramids...curses on tombs and ancient pharaohs* and such. And this is such a tale. It is from Police Comics #72 (1947). Although unsigned, the Grand Comics Database gives credit for art and inking to Jack Cole. Cole gets credit for the writing, too. I was wondering as I read it if it was common for Cole to use the exclamations "GRAWK!" and "YAWP!" from his characters.

*"Pharaoh” is spelled wrong throughout the story.


















0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management