Friday 22 July 2016

RECOMMENDED READING: WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT - BY DARWYN COOKE...


Images copyright DC COMICS

I first learned of The SPIRIT in the 1967 edition of
The PENGUIN BOOK Of COMICS when I borrowed it
from my local library in '72.  Read a few stories over the years,
even met WILL EISNER in 1985 or '86, but I couldn't say I
was ever a massive fan of DENNY COLT, alias The Spirit.
Probably because I'd simply never read enough of his re-
printed adventures for the series to click with me.


I'm closer to being a massive fan now 'though, since
reading these two collected editions of the late DARWYN
COOKE's run on the character.  Other creators pitched in
too, but Cooke best captures the (dare I say it?) spirit and the
mood of the original Eisner strips.  Funny thing is, I bought the
debut issue of the comic when it first came out, as well as the
team-up with BATMAN, but I never read 'em.  Have now
'though, cos their in the first book in this two volume
set (sold separately).


So if you're a fan of either The Spirit or the late
Darwyn Cooke, then these two books are sure to
tickle your sporran and float your boat.  Straight
'round to FORBIDDEN PLANET with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management