Monday 1 August 2016

FAVOURITE COMICS OF THE PAST PART FORTY-SEVEN - SUB-MARINER KING-SIZE SPECIAL #1...


Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

I well remember the day I bought this King-Size mag
sometime in 1972 (or '73) as it was a particularly sunny one. 
Can no longer recall if it was a Saturday, or a weekday during
the school summer holidays, but I believe I purchased it from
one of the local RS McCOLL's in the main shopping centre of
my home town.  From there I made my way along to another
newsagents in a neighbouring area, and I remember walking
the stretch of road between the two, and the hot sun
beating down upon me on the journey.

As for the contents, I'd first read these stories in the
pages of TERRIFIC back in 1967, although, at the time,
it seemed a far longer period than 5 or 6 years between 'then
and now'.  VINCE COLLETTA is much-maligned in some
fan circles nowadays, but his inking over GENE COLAN's
pencils on this strip was excellent, and easily the equal of
his inks on JACK KIRBY's THOR tales   Add to that a
great SAL BUSCEMA* cover and you've got yet
another of my favourite comics of the past.

(I think I can see a hint of MARIE SEVERIN 
in there as well.  Couldn't swear to it 'though,)

Incidentally, originally Gene was named in the credits
as ADAM AUSTIN, but this was altered for this King-
Size re-presentation of these SUB-MARINER tales.

Any memories of this MARVEL-lous mag, frantic
ones?  Then don't be selfish!  Share your rambling remin-
iscenses with the rest of us in our cataclysmic and some-
times controversial comments section.  Go on!









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management