Monday 28 November 2016

OUT OF STEP, OUT OF TIME (OR: A FRIVOLOUS PONDERING)...



As someone who's all too aware of the seeming
immutability of memory and association, I'm often sur-
prised when I experience examples that fly in the face of
the principle.  What do I mean?  Well, if I got an item  in,
say, the '60s, I''m usually always reminded of the period
and place in which I lived when I purchased it when-
ever I look at the thing, be it comic or toy.

But, sometimes, there are exceptions.  A case in
point is this set of WADE porcelain figures, which I've
shown on the blog before.  The YOGI BEAR figure was
bought in 1970 or '71 and, naturally enough, I associate
it in memory with where I was then living, which was
the previous house to the one I now reside in.

45 years passed before I decided to track down
and acquire the remaining two HANNA-BARBERA
figures in the set, HUCKLEBERRY HOUND and Mr.
JINKS.  I succeeded in my quest, so you'd think that
I'd therefore associate them with now, rather than
then, but surprisingly, such is not the case.

When I look at Huck and Jinks, I can't help but
'see' them in my old room of my former house, sit-
ting alongside Yogi as if I owned all three pieces back
then.  They fit so well into that period that it's hard to
separate them from it, and link them to the contem-
porary times in which they were purchased.

Another of life's little mysteries which I thought
I'd share with you all here.  After all, why should I be
the only person who has to ponder such perplexities?
Now you can all wrestle with it - and if you feel like
commenting on the matter, be my guest. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management