Wednesday 16 November 2016

THE WIZARD RETURNS...


Images copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

Now here's a blast from the past.  The WIZARD #1
from February 1970.  I was yet a primary school pupil when
I first bought and read the comic 46-odd years ago.  Today, I
acquired this replacement, and although I haven't yet re-read
it, I plan to before I get very much older.  It's always nice
when a little piece of the past pops up in the present.

The comic was, in actual fact, a revival - in name at
least - of a story paper that first saw the light of day in 1922.
Amazingly, it survived until 1963 - a staggering 41 years.  The
revived title didn't manage quite as long as that, bowing out for
the final time in 1978.  Note that publisher D.C. THOMSON
still weren't calling the weekly periodical a 'comic', prefer-
ring to refer to it as a 'picture story paper for boys'.

Want to have a look at the contents.  Be my guest.








And, below, is the cover to the first Wizard from 1922.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management