Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Free Comic Book Day 2017: DC Superhero Girls:Summer Olympus


I wasn't sure if I would be able to make Free Comic Book Day last Saturday but luckily I was able to leave work on time and hit the store before the doors close.

My story allows 2 free comics per customer and I decided on Dragon Ball Z and DC Superhero Girls. The  Superhero Girls book 'Summer Olympus' was written by Shea Fontana with art by Yancey Labat (the usual creative team). And, as usual, this was a lot of fun.

I am relatively certain that Summer Olympus is the next DCSHG graphic novel so this is probably the opening chapter. Similarly, last year's FCBD DCSHG book was the opening chapter of Finals Crisis. So this is a nice way to grab new readers and give them a taste of the bigger product.

I was definitely glad to get this because there are moments that should be shared and enjoyed!

On to the book!


The book opens with Wonder Woman and Bumblebee stopping the Double Dare Twins from stealing Silver St. Cloud's purses.

How amazing is it that a deep cut like Silver St. Cloud is appearing in an All Ages book! This makes me happy.


Amazingly, the whole town seems to be in a good place. All the villains are locked up and accounted for. The big threats are no where to be found.

With the semester over and the city safe, it means the girls can enjoy a summer vacation. It feels like this series has been going on so long that I forgot that this would be Kara's first summer vacation.

I like that there is this sense of accomplishment and camaraderie.


The campus is surprised to have a new super-speedster show up, Hermes!

She has brought Diana an invitation to join her father Zeus on Olympus for the summer.

Soooo ...

I am not a big fan of the 'daughter of Zeus', 'demigod' origin of Wonder Woman, a completely New 52 phenomenon. So I will admit I was pretty disappointed to see it brought in here. Can't that be forgotten like it seems to have been in the main book?

Maybe it will seem more natural here. Maybe?


Diana goes around to see if anyone wants to join her on Olympus but the only one available is Bumblebee.

Kara promised the Kents that she'd be there to help on the farm and she can't back out. And she is bringing a couple of more farm hands - Big Barda and Lady Shiva. What an interesting crew!

I would love to see some shots of the three of them doing chores. In particular, Barda has been played as a bit of a 'bull in a china shop' so I'd love to see what she is up to.

The book ends with a sort of Who's Who page for number of the main characters including Supergirl.

I like this brief look at Kara, labeling her as sweet, innocent, and optimistic. Again, she is a bit naive to Earth culture and her powers, so that makes sense.

They list invincibility as a power, a contrast to Wonder Woman's 'near invincibility'. It is a small way of connoting raw strength. Diana is clearly the leader.

I have said how much I love DCSHG in the past. It is great fun! And I love that this was one of the books DC decided to promote on Free Comic Book Day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management