Wednesday 22 August 2018

Boston Fan Expo Recap #2: Bob McLeod Commission, John Byrne, And Others!


Fan Expo Boston is now 2 weeks behind me and there was another con that I have already attended (yay con season!).

So I thought I would wrap up my coverage of this con today.

As I said last week, the feel of the con is much more celebrity-focused but the comic creator guest list was pretty impressive. There was a nice mix of classic creators and current folks. So for an old timer like me who also hits the store every Wednesday, this was perfect.

For examples, one of my best interactions was talking to Sam Humphries about his Legion/Bugs Bunny crossover. Humphries is a big fan of the Grell era Legion, the books I cut my comic teeth on. And I was able to talk about his recent Harley Quinn run which has really shined.

And, of course, John Byrne was there. Byrne was a huge draw for me, having been a fan of his since I was a wee lad reading Marvel Team-Up and enjoying his Superman reboot.

Regarding commissions these days, I am trying to make sure I get more classic artists when I see them (and if I can afford them) to recognize them and their contributions. At Boston, I really hoped to grab a Bob McLeod commission and I was lucky enough to get one.

Up next, the commission, by Byrne interaction, and other stuff.



Here is the McLeod piece, a sketch I love.

McLeod was on the Superman books when the Matrix Supergirl returned from her space exile and I love that he drew Supergirl in that costume. There is something young, fresh, and optimistic in this image, very different from the Tyler Kirkham commision I got. Floating in the clouds, smiling, arms out almost reveling in the freedom, it just all works.

I only got two commissions here but the quality was just tremendous. I love this McLeod commission. Just incredible.


John Byrne had a prime spot on a corner in the creator section, allowing his long lines to snake behind tables. Byrne had specific rules ... no CGC, no multiple copies of the same issue, and only signing in black sharpie. But to meet a legend, these were simple rules to abide.

I brought up a smattering of issues from all over his career but surprisingly no XMen.

Most of what I brought were issues from his Superman run including important issues in the reintroduction of Supergirl as the Matrix. So Superman #16 (where we first see her trapped in the ice), to the Supergirl Saga issues (like #21 seen above and #22).

Byrne was quite personable and was able to answer brief questions while he was signing but he also recognized the line and moved things along. That was perfect. Really he was a nice guy.


Just a sample of some of the other issues I got signed. I got Legends #1 and Legends #3 (first current Suicide Squad). I got Man of Steel #1 and Man of Steel #2 signed. And, of course, my beloved Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #1 & #2. 

You really could see just how beloved a creator he is with everyone thanking him for some story or another which really mattered to them. For me I thanked him for 'somewhat' bringing Supergirl back. But really I gushed about those Indy issues, a story so beloved that I did a podcast with Rob Kelly about them.

It was really spectacular to meet him.


And just another couple of issues to highlight. Remember this is a Supergirl site!

Greg Land was there and I got some Sojourn issues signed. But also, Land did Supergirl #11 and Supergirl #12 in the PAD era so I got those signed. Those issues are reviewed somewhere on this site.

Bob McLeod did the cover for the Panic in the Sky Prologue in Action Comics #674. That image is on my source material for cons. So it was great to get McLeod to sign the issue. And yes, Amanda Conner was there so I got her to sign the cover of the latest issue of Supergirl.

So overall a great con. But there was a better one around the corner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management