Monday 27 August 2018

That Crisis Moment In Wonder Woman #53


You would think that 32 years after it hit the stands that the impact of Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 would lessen in me.

After all, while Supergirl did die and was subsequently erased from the DCU, she has come back in multiple incarnations. She has tremendous runs with amazing creators since COIE. She is at the peek of her popularity.

Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 has become a touchpoint in comic history. It gave *that* Supergirl an incredibly heroic death, one of sacrifice to save the many.

I have come to respect Crisis for what it has meant for Supergirl fandom, her character, and her mythology.

So I am not surprised when I still see that issue get referenced. Usually it takes the form of an homage of the famous cover.

But this week, in Wonder Woman #53, I saw my first COIE #7 dialogue homage. No surprise, it comes from Supergirl scribe and fan Steve Orlando.



In the book, Wonder Woman, Diana, and Aztek enter the Thirteen Heavens to fight Tezcatlipoca.

In the middle of the battle, Tezcatlipoca looks at Diana and says the line 'You turn in battle, woman?'


"That is a fatal mistake."

I read it and paused.

I turned back a page to read it again.

I felt that twinge, that feeling of scar tissue aching decades after the wound inflicted.


Because that line is basically what the Anti-Monitor said to Supergirl right before inflicting a mortal wound in Crisis on Infinite Earths #7.

That is not coincidence. That is homage. That is honoring that scene and what it meant.

But what amazed me is that despite reading 32 years of comic since that issue hit the rack, despite hearing the blatherings of villains and heroes as they throw down, I immediately knew this particular phrase was from here.

Amazing.

That is what COIE #7 means to long time Supergirl fans. We still mourn that Kara. We still know that scene, the words, the actions.

So I want to thank Steve Orlando for writing that line in Wonder Woman. It still stings a little bit ... but that's a good thing. It means the moment still carries that importance. Even all these years later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management