| Images copyright DC COMICS |
Isn't it weird that ARNOLD DRAKE, original writer (and co-
creator) of The DOOM PATROL, also wrote the X-MEN after
leaving DC to go to MARVEL? Two misfit groups, both led by a
wheelchair-bound idealist whose intention it was to protect humanity.
If I'm not mistaken, both groups had their own BROTHERHOOD Of
EVIL to fight against, pushing credulity just a bit too far when it comes
to coincidence. Arnold Drake later said that he thought STAN LEE
must've heard about The Doom Patrol at the preparation stage and
stolen a jump on him. Poor Stan just can't win. It's asserted by
some that JACK KIRBY created the X-Men, not Stan - and
now he's also accused of ripping off Arnold Drake.
Hard to believe that I bought this mag at least 30 years ago. If
memory serves, I purchased it from PETE ROOT of AKA Books
& Comics in Glasgow's Virginia Galleries. I more than likely bought
it primarily because I'd read the New Doom Patrol in SHOWCASE
#s 94 to 96 back in the '70s, and therefore wanted to add the original
group's first appearance to my collection. In my never-ending quest
to give you a glimpse into yesteryear, I've decided to share the
cover and some of the interior pages with you here.
Incidentally, I've added the covers and splash pages of #s
95 & 96 of Showcase to my post about #94, which you'll see if
you click here. Wait 'til you've savoured the mood and the magic
of the pages on display here first 'though - I wouldn't want you to
exit prematurely and miss them, especially after all the time and
trouble I've gone to in scanning them just for you.


15:06
Unknown
Posted in:
0 comments:
Post a Comment