Thursday 16 August 2018

Boston Fan Expo Recap #1 - Tyler Kirkham Commission plus Lee, King, & Orlando

This last weekend was Fan Expo Boston, the beginning of my convention season. I have been anticipating this con greatly because of the depth of the comic creator guest list that was coming and I wasn't disappointed.

From a commission point of view, I knew that this was going to be a light con, maybe two commissions. And my number one target for the day was Tyler Kirkham. Thankfully, I was able to land on his list and get a sketch.

I also knew that this was going to be the con where I would go the extra mile to make sure I met Jim Lee. I had the opportunity a couple of times prior but passed when the lines became too long. This time I spent a bit more to guarantee a brief interaction.

And the list of other creators that were present is a bit too long to regurgitate. I'll touch on John Byrne and Bob McLeod in recap #2. But it was great to meet Steve Orlando, Sam Humphries, Greg Land, and others there. And I also got to run into Tom King, Clay Mann, Peter Tomasi, and Frank Quitely again.

The one thing I have to say is that almost every creator had some charge for signatures. Often it was 2-3 for free but then $5 after. Some where every sig was $5. Some were $10. It has made me change my approach to pulling books for sigs which is kind of a shame. I understand their side of the financial equation as well.

The last day was a family day where the two youngest Supergirls joined me and were able to meet the cast of Steven Universe. They had a great time shopping for themselves and friends. 

So overall, a very good experience. Up next, the Kirkham commission!


I have been a huge fan of Kirkham's for some time, every since I saw his work on Green Lantern Corps. So when he was announced, I knew that he would be target number one.

Every so often I am simply floored by a piece. This is one of them. I was anticipating a bust sketch and got this nearly full bodied piec instead. It is a fantastic take on Supergirl, hand on hip, hair flowing, and beautiful.

With the charcoal, fine line, and full blacks, I was just gobsmacked.

This is already in the 'favorite pieces' category in my mind. Unbelievable! Stunning!

I can't say enough how happy I was when I made it on the list. Yes!


I also had purchased the Tyler Kirkham variant of Action Comics #1000 so I decided this would be the copy I would try and collect signatures on.

At this show alone I got Kirkham to sign as well as Jim Lee, Peter Tomasi, Tom King, and Clay Mann.

Not a bad start!


I bought the 'Jim Lee Experience' which granted me three autographs, a signed lithograph, and a selfie.

It was very hard to decide what two books to bring after Action Comics #1000 but I decided on these two. Lee is now the 8th signature I have on Harley Quinn #0 (along with Conner, Palmiotti, Johnson, Hardin, Kieth, Panosian, and Roux.) He also completes the trifecta on the variant of Superman Unchained #1 (with Snyder and Garcia-Lopez).

I also mentioned this site and how I have been talking about Supergirl and comics for 10 years. Hope he swings by at some point. As for the selfie, I asked Lee to pose like we were in the middle of a race like Superman/Flash. The pic came out great. I hope he got a kick out of that request.


As I mentioned, I got Tom King and Clay Mann to sign Action Comics #1000. Luckily their line moved smoothly and I was able to get some books signed by them. I was glad to get Batman #36-37 signed as that two parter with Superman was pitch perfect.

Batman #45 had a text error in it and on Twitter King asked fans for a #noprize explanation. He liked mine the best so I won the #noprize. But it did give me an 'in'. I introduced myself as the No-Prize guy.


I'm probably burying the lede a bit but I also got to meet Steve Orlando.

I never know how to act at these things I would have loved to stop and talk to him about Supergirl for a long time. But who knows if he would want to talk to me for a long time? So I briefly chatted about how I liked his run and how it seemed to be firing on all cylinders. I had some a number of books to get signed by him. Here is a sampling.

Anyways, this isn't the old Boston Comic Con. There is a huge celebrity contingent there. But the guest list for comic creators was pretty profound.

And that Kirkham piece made it worth it just by itself!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management