Monday 20 August 2018

Supergirl Sightings


So I am recovering from back to back convention weekends - Boston Fan Expo and the terrific Terrificon - so today will be a bit of a fluff piece. Bear with me.

One of things that I like is when I accidentally stumble across Supergirl sightings in comics where I wasn't expecting one. And I am even more thrilled when they are found in books I get out of the 'dollar box' almost randomly, things that just grab my eye and have a little SG-bonus. And there is no better place to rummage through the bargain bins than conventions. So these beauties where just obtained within the last week!

I will admit that one of these books I had heard (and therefore should have known) that there was a Supergirl appearance. But just kick back and check out some Supergirl sighting, all for the completionists out there!


 First thing first. Any time I see a Secret Files and Origins issue in the dollar box, I buy it. These can be great stories. But they often have Who's Who style pages and they do give me a sort of 'pulse check' for the comics at the time.

Many podcasts I listen to band together to do a crossover lovingly title JLMay. This year they did the Silver Age storyline which ran through a number of titles in the year 2000. It was big enough that we got a Silver Age Secret Files and Origins.

The art in this book was predominantly done by true Silver Age artists so this is a true time capsule.

So how did Supergirl show up here?


There is a story called 'The Secret of the H-Dial' which covers the origin of the powers of 'Dial H for Hero' characters. It is written by Mark Waid, noted Supergirl fan. And it is drawn by Supergirl legacy artist Jim Mooney! For fans of the good old days, this is a true treat!

Okay, it really isn't Kara. But the Dial H character Susan dials H-E-R-O on the dial and becomes Supergirl, someone she doesn't recognize! Of course, back then, a Kryptonian Supergirl didn't exist. In fact, as noted by Waid in Secret Origins, she really couldn't even be named!

How sweet to see Mooney draw Supergirl again!

To be honest, I listened to the Fire and Water Podcast where this page was noted. I should have remembered. But lucky me to purchase!


Next to that in the dollar box was the Guide to the DC Universe 2001-2002 Secret Files and Origins.

I had never heard of this book but it is a Secret Files and Origins and it sported this great cover by Ariel Olivetti.  And I saw that there were Who's Who pages as well as Krypto on the cover. Sold.


Inside, there is an ongoing story of a journalist who is reporting on the big events in the day specifically the fallout of the destruction of Topeka from the Our Worlds At War storyline.

Written by Will Pfeifer with art by Anthony Williams, 'A Day in the Life' includes this 'blink and you'll miss it' sighting of the Linda Danvers/Earth Angel Supergirl. Here she stops some looters.

I am a huge fan of the Linda Danvers Supergirl series so any time I stumble across an appearance I didn't know about I smile! This is it, one panel. But I am glad she was important enough to show up in this guide! Hooray!


Second things second. Any times I see old Secret Origins issues for an affordable price, I am there.

So when I saw Secret Origins #6 in the $2 box and saw it covering two of my faves, Legion and Blackhawk, I was there.  The Blackhawk story is a reprint of the original story from 1941 with story by Will Eisner and art by Chuck Cuidera.

But I am here for the Legion stuff.


The story is written by Legion and DC historian E. Nelson Bridwell. Art is by Pete Costanza.

And the opening page shows heroes looking at statues of the original three Legionnaires and learn about their history. Who is there taking it all in? Supergirl.


But here is the moment that warmed my heart.

When R.J. Brande says the three teens should become heroes, they wonder if they are too young.

Brande brings up famous historical heroes who were active as teens, Superboy AND Supergirl.

Usually Superboy is named as the historical impetus for the team to form. So I am thrilled that in this story, Bridwell elevates Supergirl to be just as important. That is thrilling!

So there we go! Three Supergirl sightings I wasn't expecting but made me happy!

Mooney! Linda Danvers! Supergirl as an inspiration for the Legion!

Nothing wrong with any of that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management